A Century of Caring

  • 1906
  • Union Hospital opens in a rented house on Iron Avenue with 20 beds and three nurses.
  • 1908
  • The Hospital is overcrowded with patients. Fundraising begins to build a large new hospital. Land is donated by J.E. Reeves on the street car line between Dover and New Philadelphia.
  • 1922
  • Overcrowding brought about the first expansion of Union Hospital, a large brick addition that provided another 20 patient beds at a cost of $50,000.
  • 1940
  • Through the decades, the local population continued to grow and by 1940, patient beds were overflowing into the hallways. Plans were started for the next expansion of Union Hospital, but World War II delayed that project for another decade.
  • 1952
  • Costing $1,250,000 in post-war dollars, the expanded hospital provided 115 patient beds and featured contemporary hospital architecture.
  • 1956
  • Union Hospital celebrates its 50th anniversary. Thomas Kane, Sr. serves as President of the Board of Trustees. Harold Alden is hospital Administrator. The medical staff includes 33 doctors.
  • 1971
  • A $7.3 million addition to the hospital increased bed capacity to 220 patients. More than 600 people were employed and the medical staff included 40 physicians.
  • 1983
  • Harold Alden retires after 30 years as Administrator and Executive Director and is succeeded by William Harding.
  • 1996
  • The $8.1 million Building on Quality project is completed, including an addition to the hospital for a new Laboratory and expansion of the Emergency Department. Inside, changes include a new Radiology Department, Intensive Care Unit and Operating Rooms.
  • 2003
  • The three-story Boulevard South Addition dramatically changes the appearance of Union Hospital. Cardiology and Vascular Centers occupy the first floor. Fifty inpatient beds on the second and third floors bring relief to crowded conditions.
  • 2006
  • Union Hospital celebrates its Centennial year. Inpatient bed capacity is 156 and every patient care area of the hospital has experienced tremendous growth. Staffing the new services and patient care areas has pushed Union Hospital’s employment to 950 people.
  • 2009
  • R. Bruce James succeeds William Harding, who retires as president and CEO. With 1,000 employees, Union Hospital is the largest employer in Tuscarwas County.
  • The Next Century of Caring.

As Union Hospital begins our second Century of Caring, continued growth of services and facilities will allow us to provide a local, lower-cost option for high-quality healthcare for the residents of our community.